Sunday, January 1, 2012

Up and Down

For the first time since we started our therapy/intervention journey 3.5 years ago, we took a true break. Every holiday break we still continue with therapies so there isn't regression and to keep the little man on somewhat of a routine. During this holiday break we took the two weeks to just relax and enjoy. We kept one speech therapy appointment because she comes to our house and it was easy enough so he met with her two times and an OT student who used to be his shadow at a typical preschool, came one time to play for an hour. Aside from that our routine went out the window. It was actually kind of nice to just relax at home, go to bed late, sleep in and spend time together. I always joke that I'm "greedy" when it comes to my son because every time I want a milestone to come so badly, by the time it comes, I'm so anxious for another that I recognize that the old goal has been reached but still it's on to the next. At one time I just wanted him to say "hi" and now I want him to master potty training which by the way,the fact that he hasn't yet is completely his choice. He just can't be bothered but knows exactly what he is supposed to do and will do it when he told but doesn't care enough to initiate it on his own. I have "hi" now though, all the time. No prompt required, if someone says hi to him he says hi back.. it's the best.. but here I am focused on that potty thing ;). So over this vacation we have had up's and down's because during the entire first week at home, potty training completely regressed. He was loving his free time so much and the fact that for the first time since he was 1.5 years old, he didn't have to be somewhere at all times. He finally got control of  the bathroom deal again during week two (phew, I thought hubby was going to jump out the window ) and even had some great gains while we were home. He started saying yes and no consistently which again he knows how to say and do everything but it's getting him to do it on our terms. So overall vaca was a great success. Slight regression and major verbal improvements. I was so excited for this time with the family, with two days left of break I'm starting to get pretty excited to get back into a routine again. Up and down, that's the way the special needs road goes.

 


1 comment: